VerticalResponse is an easy-to-use tool that allows you to create and send engaging email newsletters, offers and invitations. Better yet, we’re affordable, too. In fact, our pricing is 20% less than Constant Contact. Plus, If your email list contains under 1,000 contacts, you can use VerticalResponse for free to send up to 4,000 emails per month.
Thinking about making the switch? Your email lists, sign up forms, welcome emails, and your favorite newsletters can be transferred over from Constant Contact to VerticalResponse in a few simple steps. As Harry R. Maurer, PR Officer for Toastmasters International – District 56 explains, being able to create professional and mobile-friendly aka responsive emails in VerticalResponse is worth the shift:
”After exploring VerticalResponse, I found it cleaner, more intuitive than Constant Contact and the emails are responsive so they can be read more easily on mobile devices, which is vital in today’s business. I switched over to VerticalResponse this year and am thrilled with the system – even our members commented on the improved layout of the email designs.”
Ready to join us? First, you’ll need to gather a few things from your Constant Contact account, and then we’ll walk you though the set up of your new VerticalResponse account. In this guide, we’ll focus on gathering your email lists, sign up form, email content and images.
Exporting Your Email Lists
To export your email lists or contacts out of Constant Contact, you can either download one large list, or individual lists. Constant Contact automatically removes unsubscribed addresses from your lists, so as long as you chose either the Active List or your specific lists, you won’t need to change anything in order to mail through VerticalResponse. To avoid issues with CAN-SPAM, CASL, and other anti-spam laws, don’t download All Contacts, as it will include unsubscribes and you can’t mail to those addresses. Reference our handy chart for details about the types of lists you can mail through VerticalResponse.
How to Export Your List from Constant Contact
- Go to Contacts on the left side of your Constant Contact account.
- Click Active under the Contacts section. This will export all the mailable addresses and remove any unsubscribes.
- You can also download your lists individually if you have multiple lists you want to keep separated for segmentation purposes.
- You’ll see a list of information associated with your lists. Check each box next to the information you’d like to keep.
- Click Export at the bottom.
- Once you’ve exported your information, click Activity at the top of your Contacts page to find the file.
- Click either Download CSV or Download Excel –either will work in your new VerticalResponse account.
We also have a helpful video that walks you through exporting your list here.
How to Upload Your List(s) into VerticalResponse
Now that you have your list(s), you can upload them to your new VerticalResponse account.
- Click the Contacts tab at the top of your VerticalResponse account.
- Click the green plus (+) button.
- Give your list a name, and if you want to create a sign up form at the same time, click the option that says Allow people to sign up for this list. We’ll walk you through setting up a new sign form after your list has been uploaded. You can always choose to set up a sign up form later, as well.
Next, you’ll upload your list. Because you have your list(s) ready to go, click the button that says Upload File, or just drag your file from your desktop to this screen, we’ll upload it for you.
Once the file has been uploaded, you’ll want to match your imported data/information with the columns or headers listed. Previous headers used from Constant Contact will be imported, but you can change how the data is mapped if you wish.
- Click the drop down menu above a column and find the field name you want to use.
- When everything is matched or mapped the way you want it, click the Import button to finish the upload.
- Repeat these steps for each list you need to import.
Gathering Your Sign up Form Information
While you aren’t able to export the exact sign up form you have in Constant Contact, you can easily create one in VerticalResponse. To gather your Constant Contact sign up information, you’ll want to take a screen shot. This will give you a reference for the design or text, so you can use it again. Here’s how to do that:
- Click Contacts on the left side of your Constant Contact account, and then Sign up Form at the top of the page.
- Click the magnifying glass under Actions and take a screen shot of the form.
– Or –
- Click the name of the sign up form and copy the text to use in your new VerticalResponse sign up form.
Remember to remove the URL or any sign up buttons that are attached to your Constant Cpntact form from your website, blog or social network. Perform an online search (Google, Bing, Yahoo) to find any site in which you may have shared the existing link.
How to Set up a Sign up Form in VerticalResponse
You can quickly set up a new embeddable or hosted sign up form in VerticalResponse. These forms can either be embedded on your website, or hosted and shared in the same places as your Constant Contact form. Here’s how to get started:
- Click on the Contacts tab in your VerticalResponse account.
- Click the green plus (+) on Sign up Forms.
- Our system will walk you through setting up your new sign up form; you can also find more information on our helpcenter.
Collecting Your Email Content
You’ll want to collect the contents of your Constant Contact emails, (unfortunately they won’t let you copy the HTML) to create new responsive emails in VerticalResponse a snap. To prepare, send a copy, or resend an email in Constant Contact to yourself. Then, you’ll be able to duplicate the general layout in VerticalResponse and copy the text you want to reuse. Here’s how to resend an email to yourself:
- Click Campaigns on the left of your Constant Contact account.
- Click Actions menu on right side to select the email you want to resend to yourself, then click Resend in the menu.
- Click the Enter email addresses button, then Next on the far right.
- Enter your email address and click Next.
- Select the option to Send Now and click Finish.
Now you can log into your VerticalResponse account and create a new email. Here are step-by-step instructions.
Downloading Your Images
You can download any images from Constant Contact that you want to transfer to VerticalResponse. Here’s how:
- Click Library on the left side of your Constant Contact account.
- Click the name of the image, then right-click on the image and select to Save Image As. Name your image.
Once you’ve saved your images, keep them in a handy location on your computer and upload them into your email or account when you’re ready to use them.
Want or need more help? We have an award-winning support team available 7-days a week. Don’t hesitate to contact us!
Don’t have a VerticalResponse account? Create your account, and give us a spin today!
© 2015, VerticalResponse Blog. All rights reserved. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited.
The post The Ultimate Guide to Switching from Constant Contact to VerticalResponse appeared first on VerticalResponse Blog.