Yahoo! is currently rolling out secured search, which prevents sending referrers to unsecured sites. The roll out is ongoing, but currently they do pass data to secured sites. Unlike Google’s secured search roll out:
- rather than showing a referrer without keyword data the traffic will show up as direct site visitors
- there is no default automated workaround for advertisers
A couple quick questions:
- Will Yahoo! add a Google-like data flow exemption for advertisers beyond URL tracking parameters?
- Will Yahoo! make guarantees to secured sites that organic data will flow to justify the cost & significant risks associated with site migrations?
- How accessible will Yahoo! data remain within Bing?
- If/when Bing makes secured search a default, how will their solution differ from those of Google & Yahoo!?
Update: It looks like Yahoo! is now passing about 36% of their search traffic through an internal redirect which strips keyword referral data. The r.search.yahoo.com redirect is still used & does not pass keyword information to the publisher website, even if the site which is being linked to is secured.