A well-organized LinkedIn profile is essential.
Melonie Dodaro, Canada’s No. 1 LinkedIn expert, lists 21 requirements for making your LinkedIn profile awesome:
1. The section for your name should only contain your name.
2. Your headline should be catchy, and include key words and phrases that you would want to turn up in Google search results.
3. A professional photo.
4. At least 500 connections. Social proof is important online. It leads to credibility and authority on the Web.
5. All relevant contact information.
6. Customized website names to attract your target market.
7. Customized profile URL.
8. Daily status updates to provide value to your network. Share your latest blog post, presentation or content worth passing along.
9. Key words and phrases under which you want people to find you and your business.
10. Write in the first person.
11. Speak directly to your target market so they can identify with what you say.
12. A video or slideshow. Many people prefer to watch rather than read.
13. Tell people they must click to play a video. It’s not that obvious.
14. Load your “skills and expertise” section with key words and phrases.
15. Highlight free reports or downloads in the “projects” section. Showcase the products and services you promote here, too.
16. Load the “work history” section with key words and phrases.
17. Load the “experience” section with key words and phrases.
18. Post at least 10 recommendations.
19. Mention your volunteer experiences, including causes you support.
20. Significant media awards, recognition and achievements in the “honors and awards” section will enhance your credibility.
21. Join 50 groups.
To see these tips on an actual profile, check out the infographic below:
Popularity: This record has been viewed 2681 times.
Ragan.com moderates comments and reserves the right to remove posts that are abusive or otherwise inappropriate.