Are you a business owner? It’s pretty likely that if you’ve found this blog, you have some kind of interest in ecommerce. Whether you have your own business, work for one, or have ambitions of starting one, knowing the ins and outs of ecommerce is crucial. Even if you’re just an avid online shopper, knowing the goals and ideals of ecommerce is good!
There are many, many different platforms for ecommerce. In the past, most online purchasing went directly through a company’s website. Now, there are so many different selling models and platforms, it’s kind of amazing. There are micro-ecommerce type sites like Etsy, where anyone can open a small shop. There are the ecommerce giants like Ebay and Amazon. Then there are niche sites, group deal sites…the possibilities are endless.
So what are some ways to stand out in the vast world of ecommerce? Here are a few tips:
- Use your budget on marketing. Rather than spending a fortune to build a custom ecommerce store, consider using one of the many pre-fab ecommerce platforms that are available. They are generally a fraction of the cost and just as effective as building your own from scratch. This can also tie in with any digital marketing campaigns, making it a seamless transition from advertising to selling.
- Use social media. I know, I know, we talk endlessly about social media and its power with consumers. But you know why? Because it works! Leverage social media for advertising. It’s free (or cheap, if you want to utilize paid advertising) and it’s so easy to use. No one can deny that social media is easily the most far reaching method of marketing that we have.
- Focus on customer service. Sometimes, customer service can be lost in the fray when it comes to ecommerce. As with in-person stores and sales, the customer always has to come first. Great customer service keeps consumers coming back, as well as drives positive reviews and word of mouth marketing.
- Evolve. We can take a lesson from media and sales giant Amazon on this one. Amazon has proven immensely successful at both sales and marketing. Recently, they raised the price of their Prime membership from $ 79/year to $ 99/year. Instead of backlash, their loyal customers and just about everyone else praised their services and said they are more than willing to pay the new, higher price. And you know what? Amazon continues to thrive, and has even added a new music streaming service.
With these tips you’ll be on your way to standing out in the ecommerce world.
Do you have any tips you would like to share?
Megan Totka is the Chief Editor for ChamberofCommerce.com. She specializes on the topic of small business tips and resources. ChamberofCommerce.com helps small businesses grow their business on the web and facilitates connectivity between local businesses and more than 7,000 Chambers of Commerce worldwide.
- Is Email Marketing Still the Best Strategy?
- Internet Law
- Business Connections: Social Media Makes it Possible, Anywhere