The National Football League’s New York Giants and New York Jets may share MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J., but there is no love lost between the co-tenants or their fans. As the teams prepare to kick off their annual preseason battle Saturday night, the Facebook Data Science Team examined how the two squads and their supporters match up on the social network.
The majority of the 62 counties in New York state favor the Giants, as displayed in the map below, with the New York metropolitan area representing the lone Jets stronghold.
As for their fans, the Facebook Data Science Team reported about Giants fans:
- Giants fans also like Walmart (34 percent), Jay-Z (29 percent), Megan Fox (27 percent), and Xbox (21 percent).
- The top cities for Giants fans outside of New York are Los Angeles, Atlanta, Orlando, and Houston.
- Giants fans like Major League Baseball’s New York Yankees 23 times more than average Facebook users.
- Giants fans like automaker Infiniti five times more than average Facebook users.
- 45 percent of Giants fans like reality TV shows.
- 36 percent of Giants fans like charitable causes.
As for Jets fans:
- Jets fans also like “Family Guy” (40 percent), Will Smith (24 percent), Subway (24 percent), and Jets Quarterback Mark Sanchez (13 percent).
- The top cities for Jets fans outside of New York are Los Angeles, Miami, Chicago, and Atlanta.
- Jets fans like MLB’s New York Mets 100 times more than average Facebook users.
- Jets fans like baker Entenmann’s 19 times more than average Facebook users.
- Jets fans like audio equipment 8 percent more than average Facebook users.
- 41 percent of Jets fans are also hockey fans.
Readers: Are you surprised that fans of two teams in the same city have such different interests?
Image courtesy of Shutterstock.
Hand Chain Saw – a must have Survival tool, with many uses.