The report was based on data from survey of 1,000 adults in the United States age 18-29 who are interested in buying products and services from local/small businesses and who own at least a desktop/laptop computer and a smartphone or tablet.
Some 62% of respondents say Facebook is the most useful social network for researching small businesses before purchasing, compared with just 12% for Pinterest, 11% for Twitter, and 9% for Instagram:
Below, additional key findings from the report.
What Consumers Value
- 41% of respondents say they care most about reading customer reviews and ratings for small businesses on Facebook; 19% care most about seeing featured products from businesses.
- 80% of respondents say they are more likely to purchase products or services in-store if there are positive customer reviews on a company’s website, mobile site, or Facebook page.
Promoted Posts vs. Offers
- 38% of respondents say Facebook offers that can be redeemed in-store are most likely to influence them to visit the website of a small business.
- Only 12% say promoted posts on Facebook are most likely to get them to visit the website of a small business; 10% say photo/video contents would; 11% cite sweepstakes; and 10% cite loyalty promotions.
Engagement by Business Type
- Restaurants are the small business type that respondents are most likely to engage with on Facebook (cited by 38% of respondents)
- Beauty/spa and education/training businesses are tied for second place (14% each).
About the research: The report was based on data from a survey conducted from June 30 to July 2, 2014 of 1,000 adults in the United States age 18-29 who are interested in buying products and services from local/small businesses and who own at least a desktop/laptop computer and a smartphone or tablet.
Ayaz Nanji is a digital strategy and content consultant. He is also a research writer for MarketingProfs. His experience includes working as a strategist and producer of digital content for Google/YouTube, the Travel Channel, and AOL.
LinkedIn: Ayaz Nanji