Just like with building a website; no one will find it without the proper marketing. The same goes for infographics. If you research and design the best infographic, but have no way of marketing it to the public more often than not it will fail. This is an unfortunate truth, but following the steps below can help avoid such infographic pitfalls.
- Research – Make sure to do your homework when it comes to researching a subject. Cite your facts and double check for accuracy. The last thing you want is to spend hours of time designing a misinforming infographic. Always check where the numbers came from and make sure it makes sense.
- Design – This is the most important stage of an infgraphic. Without a good design all the time and effort is gone to waste. You need to find a way to organize all the data in a clear and concise way that is easy to read. It must make sense and flow throughout the entire infographic. This can be difficult and takes practice.
- Publish – You want to publish the new infographic on your website or blog first as a way to get credit for having the first copy. This is for SEO purposes and will help your infographic rank in Google and other search engines. Write a few paragraphs of text before and after the infographic as the search engines love to see original content and the infographic can back up the text. A few paragraphs are all you need here. Below the infographic you want to have a click to embed box where people can copy a strip of HTML code and paste it directly to their website and have the infographic appear with credit back to your site. This is the beauty of an infographic. Also, you want to have social sharing buttons on this page so others can like, tweet, share, pin, etc. the infographic to their personal social networks.
- Directories – After you have added the infographic to your own website or blog you want to begin to distribute it across the web. This means finding infographic sites such as infographic.ca or free image sharing sites such as flickr. There are thousands of websites available so pick and chose those that receive high volumes of traffic and those that are niche related as these will have the biggest impact on your search engine rankings and exposure online.
- Press Release – After all of the above steps have been completed it wise to craft a press release about your newly created infographic. Write an original AP style piece and submit it to free and paid press release directories across the web. This will bring in an influx of new traffic and backlinks to your website.
By following these steps you will maximize the exposure your infographic gets to the world. It is just like building an amazing website, if no one is going to it then it is useless. The same goes for infographics. You can spend tens of thousands of dollars doing the market research and creating the infographic, but without the proper exposure no one will see it.